SEO (search engine optimization) is very important.
Repeated keywords and item specifics certainly help with search engine optimization. But, there is another powerful element called "metadata" that will boost your listings' search rank even more.
Metadata is a hidden code that tells search engines (Google, Bing, eBay) what the page is about as it reads the text. (Yes, search engine bots are very good at reading)
When the metadata matches your description and title, your listing's rank is boosted.
Note: as it may take Google and others a few days or even weeks to index your item, metadata is most commonly used for GTC items.
These are words and phrases that describe your item.
A good way to think about this is, "if I were searching for what I'm selling on google, what words would I type?"
You can separate phrases with commas to let the search engine know it's a 'string' of words. Or for individual words, you can comma-separate each.
This is not meant for sentences or a hundred keywords. Best practice: only include top keywords that relate to your item.
Here's your chance to shine.
- In search engine results, this is the text underneath the title. If you don't have this, the search engine will choose random text from your listing.
- The description should also include words from your meta tags, and most importantly, main phrases or keywords from your item's title.
This is very important for appearing in mobile search results.
- eBay will attempt to provide you one automatically by displaying the first few words of your description.
- It's best to customize this and write a short summary of your description. (something that can instantly provide the buyer with valuable info about the product.
- Important: include the same keywords you use in your title and description.
These are used for read-aloud content for visually impaired users.
- But more commonly, they are used as extra metadata to boost the page's search rank.
- The alt-tags need to describe the image. Tell the user what the image is in as few words as possible.
Metadata is very important for search engine optimization.
This is why we have developed the tools for you to add metadata to each of your listings, or in bulk.
Click here to learn how to use Listing Software to add SEO metadata to your eBay listings.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us anytime at email@example.com